your slip is showing








I've always loved lingerie. Well, my mother always called it "foundation wear". A child of the 70's and 80's, I grew up in a home where my mother would wear peignoir sets nightly. To this day, I've never seen her sleep in cotton or flannel. She owned all manner of slips and girdles. Countless drawers were dedicated to the storage and care of it all, all lined with floral scented paper and filled with sachets.

My first foray into "foundation wear" was probably in about third or fourth grade. Mother took me to the local D.H. Holmes department store in Jackson, Mississippi and told me I needed slips and camisoles for school and was told I had to wear them under my St. Andrews white-Peter-Pan-collar-shirt-and-blue-skirt uniform every day. And I toed the line for a while but by the time I entered seventh grade in 1984, my slips were long gone.

Now that I'm older, however, I find myself looking everywhere for beautiful slips but they are hard to come by. I want soft pink with black lace and coffee colored silk with cream lace. I want a silk and lace cami under a crisp white blouse.

In my search, I've run across Your Slip is Showing. The first three images above are from their line. It's a wonderful site and I'm planning on ordering one of them, but they are a little more "occasion" than I have in mind. It's not that I don't covet a slip trimmed in peacock feathers, but that's more of a slip that's truly meant to be seen. I'm thinking more of something that's not meant to be seen but is. A little naughty.

For that, I think my best options for now are vintage. Vintage Slips has peignoirs, full slips, half slips, tap pants... everything. The last four photos are one their site now. I think we tend to think of the 50's and 60's as this really buttoned down time, but not based on these images. The tap pants? Sweet and sexy... and how about the ice blue full slip? Va va va voom! They are sexy in that Mrs. Robinson kind of way, but I would really like to find a line of new slips that are both modern and retro at the same time. If you have a lead, shoot me a line.

Comments

vicki archer said…
Love these.....so old fashioned but gorgeous and feminine at the same time....xv