Perfect Bones


If you have followed my blog at all, you have often heard me extol the virtues of plain white china. It can be found pretty cheap and gives you a lot of leeway in your tablescapes/linens/china/glassware.

My ideal white china is one that I discovered from a friend years ago (she wisely registered for it as her everyday china when she married). Wedgwood White is a beautiful plain white china with no adornments. It's not especially cheap, but for wedding china, it's not out of reach. It's dishwasher safe, but isn't big and bulky like stoneware is. I wish I had registered for this pattern also. I'll emphasize: if you only think you will get one set of wedding china, choose this one.

The real beauty of a pattern like this one is that you can use it in a breakfast room or a formal dining room. It can go with funky linens or monogrammed napkins. Formal or casual. Sterling or stainless. It makes no difference. The elegant lines of this china look good with it all.

Comments

Mary-Laure said…
I totally agree with you.
I was wondering what the difference between china and BONE china is, do you know?
I used to make fun of my mum for being into stuff like this, and now here I am dreaming about the perfect china set.......
Geo said…
Beautiful. Yes, my speed indeed.
The two main types of "good" china are porcelain and bone china. Porcelain is all some type of clay. Bone china contains bone ash (I assume from animals slaughtered for food? I hope!). I'm sure there is an expert out there who can really go into the nuts and bolts of it, but I have always thought of the porcelain as older and perhaps a little finer. Bone china is a (relatively) newer invention. There are lovely examples of both, but really old Chinese dinnerware is porcelain as is, for example, Flora Danica by Royal Copenhagen. I don't care for Flora Danica though, and couldn't possibly afford it if I did, so it doesn't really matter.

The lesson: pick the one you like best. You can find beautiful examples of both. If you don't know, most other people won't either.