Shopping on Thursday - 1930's goblets from a local charity thrift shop




Aren't they lovely? I posted these to Instagram a week or so. I bought this set of seven stemmed glasses at a precious little local charity thrift shop. They were marked $1 each, but they were half off, so I only paid $.50 each. How would I resist?
Aren't the details just the sweetest? I'm guessing these are from the 1930's.
But you might be thinking... what can I do with them? Well, first of all, I say serve whatever you choose from them. Want to make dessert, like Eton mess? Use these. Want to use them for water for a ladies lunch? Fine! Mix and match them with other glasses for wine, be it white or red. These green glasses really have more flexibility than you think.

Don't think so? Let's look at them used two ways

This first setting is obviously a fall-inspired table. The chinoiserie tablecloth was made from one drapery panel I bought from a thrift store. The yellow napkins were from an estate sale and the Spode Copeland china in the Buttercup pattern was bought at an antique shop that was going out of business ages ago. It feels very 1930's as well. I paid about $100 for what must be 75 pieces. It is perfect here.
And aren't the little individual bamboo salt and peppers darling? It's all in the details, people.

Now for setting two. Spring.
I've brought over the same yellow napkin, julep cup and green goblet. All I did here was to swap out to another tablecloth from Goodwill drapery scraps.
I think those green goblet bases play along so nicely with the tablecloth and the Herend Indian Basket Green soup plates.
Finally, never underestimate the power of a group of carnations and a thrifted animal figurine. Carnations get a bad rap, in my opinion. They really are frilly and sweet, especially in crisp white.

Ta ta, friends! Keep those eyes open for the pretties.

Comments