Marjorie Merriweather Post's Hillwood

Last summer, my in-laws took all of us up to DC for a family trip. Since I had lived there before, I drove a lot of the sightseeing. And on our last day there, I took my sister- and mother-in-law to see Hillwood, Marjorie Merriweather Post's fabulous home in the city, a historic property I'd seen before in my 20's.

To say it's fabulous is simply not enough for this home, however. Ms. Post, as per her usual, was obsessive about collecting and creating perfect homes and gardens. No expense was spared.

I was especially taken with the incredible and peaceful garden spaces on the property. The parterre outside her bedroom and dressing room is especially striking.  The symmetrical hedges, ivy covered walls, channels of moving water... so very Versailles. All truly breathtaking. And at the far end? A statue of Diana, Goddess of the Hunt. And Ms. Post looked out over her every day she was at Hillwood. How fitting and the subtle nod was not lost on me.

I'll post separately on the interiors.

the view from outside Ms. Post's dressing room
her serene and impeccable dressing room


The view back at the house. Her dressing room is straight ahead on the second floor.
Diana, Goddess of the Hunt 



more impeccably curated garden statuary

ivy-covered walls open onto the garden room beyond

oh, the greenhouses!





Comments