now you see it...





I remember growing up in Jackson, Mississippi and shopping at the mall. Jackson had a few really nice boutiques, but back then they were all geared toward the older shopper. I wouldn't have dreamed of buying anything at Maison Weiss or Frances Pepper as my mother frequently did. For me, it was all Limited, Gap and some department stores.

I also remember vividly the Clinique girls in their lab coats and clear purses. I now know that the department store mandated employees to carry those bags so they could keep an eye on theft, but they just seemed super chic to me. I wanted one! At age 10 and 11 I vividly remember planning out what I would carry in them since everyone would see the contents.

So when I ran across this post on Sketch 42, I simply had to share it. I think what appeals to me much more than the DIY aspect (I'm not much of a DIY girl actually, but for a Lucite clutch, I'm totally game) is that the blogger thought about what went in it.

It reminded me of this jelly Speedy style bag I just saw - and almost bought - from Furla. BAGPOOR has a great post about it here. It's not as clear as Lucite, but stuff will definitely be visible. What will you carry? Valley of the Dolls/sarong/bikini? New York Times/Paris Match/your passport? Whatever you choose... make it count!

Comments

designchic said…
I've always loved lucite bags...easy to change the look with different scarves.
I am *crazy* for the 2rd image. So chic!! So funny - one of my college roomies grew up in Jackson and I remember hearing about Maison Weiss.
Thank you so much for the shout out. I'm digging this trend too. Awesome blog btw!
JMW/Bagpoor - Thanks for stopping by and for the beautiful post!

And designchic - I never thought about lining the Lucite bag with a scarf, but brilliant idea. Maybe that's what you do with that damaged Hermes scarf you can't really wear any longer...I like the idea of seeing it kinds of carelessly wadded around inside with your stuff then tucked inside that. Expose the parts of a damaged scarf that don't look bad. I new idea!!